Q: My 2001 Monte Carlo makes a sqeaky noise,need to get new breaks,worried they may be down to the rotors,how can one tell if they ar

I know I need new breaks,I just cant tell if its going to be a more expensive job of dealing with the rotors or if they just need to be replaced,hoping for the latter,makes squeaky sound like a subwayu train breaking even when I am not engaging the breaks,having a coolant tempereature problem as well,white smoke from the hood and hot coolant light.

Generally brake rotors have to either be re-surfaced (turned on a brake lathe) or replaced (if too worn to turn on a lathe). If you apply new brake pads to used rotors that are not smooth or that have ANY thickness variation or warping, that will ruin the new pads and, as well, you will have noticeable brake pedal vibration. When brakes are re-furbished, there can’t be more than .001 inches variation in the thickness of the brake rotor (.001 inches is equal to one-fourth the thickness of a hair), otherwise you will feel vibration on braking. To get your brakes estimated and restored to like new condition, simply request a brake inspection - brake pad replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you.

With regard to the overheating, if the engine is really overheating, it is best not to drive the car because overheating can warp the cylinder head and/or engine block causing costly damage. The most common causes of overheating include low coolant level (due to leaks for example), a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket or poor engine running condition can also cause overheating. If you desire that the overheating be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you, too. Both the brake and engine overheating service calls can often be handled by the same mechanic during the same trip. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. My 2001 Monte Carlo makes a sqeaky noise,need to get new breaks,worried they may be down to the rotors,how can one tell if they ar