Q: Do I need to replace timing belt now?

my 1999 rodeo has 70000 miles, do i need to replace timing belt ? car is running good now.

Hi there. Originally, manufacturers recommended timing belt service interval be done at 60,000 miles. Since then, mileage intervals have increased. Time is working against you on this one, being a 1999. Depending on the environment, timing belt replacement is recommended every 5-6 years. You are fortunate, the timing belt has not broken or stripped teeth. Chances are your vehicle engine is an interference engine, which means valves will bend should the timing belt break. This would significantly add to the repair cost. I recommend having your vehicle’s timing belt replacement be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. Do I need to replace timing belt now?