Q: Multiple problems with recently purchases used car

"I purchased a used car and it has quite a few problems: 1. The front passenger power window switch doesn’t work. However, I can open the window through the driver side controls. The passenger door lock/unlock does works. 2. The seat belt lights for both the driver and passenger come on when I start the car, but otherwise they do not light up if someone's seat belt is off when I’m driving fast. 3. I tried to start the car and held the key in the starting position for 1 ½ seconds. The engine turned, car turned on, but it stalled within 3 seconds. I then tried it a few times more and the same thing occurred. But I noticed that if I held the key down longer, the engine would stay on. 4. The car came with 2 keys, but only one works. The 2nd is like a valet key (with a transponder chip) but doesn’t fit. 5. The rear left speaker is broken. When the bass is on med/high, it rattles. 6. There is a crack and hole in the driver’s leather seat. 7. The dashboard/panel light (near the gear selector - the automatic transmission) is extremely dim and the red indicator that should move when changing gears, is stuck. Can you tell me what to do about some (if not all) of these problems to fix them. Thank you."

A: Hello. If the window on the passenger side ...

Hello. If the window on the passenger side only works with the driver switch and not the switch on the door, then the switch itself will more than likely need to be replaced. I usually test the circuit first before replacing it though. With the seat belt lights, it sounds like the sensors in the receivers for the belts are failing. The receivers would need to be replaced to fix this.

The long cranking time on this vehicle is almost always caused by a failing fuel pump. The fuel pressure would need to be tested to see if the pressure is bleeding off when the vehicle is shut down. If it is, then the pump should be replaced.

If the valet key does not work or if you need a spare key, then you will need to have a locksmith or the dealer make you a new key. If the speaker is rattling, it can only be replaced to repair it. As for the light being dim on the dash, this is common and would require that the instrument panel be replaced to fix the light. If you need to have these things looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office for a comprehensive inspection of your car. From there, they will be able to recommend the appropriate repairs.