Q: Multiple misfire codes on an 'O4 Opel Astra

I've been recently been struggling with multiple misfire codes on my 'O4 Opel Astra with 1.6 twinport. I can't seem to figure out the cause. The battery is going bad. What are the chances it is causing the misfires?

It definitely can. Realize that the fuel injection and ignition systems are all run by computers. The computer needs to have a certain parameter of voltage. If the voltage goes below a certain parameter, it can have problems and not run right. Also, if your battery is really weak, the alternator can send voltage surges throughout the system to charge the really bad battery it moves on.

So if you know that’s bad, change that first and pray that it is that because misfires and multiple codes can be really hard to figure out unless you have a really good mechanic with a dealer-level scanner watching all the codes and analyzing all the information to figure out what’s wrong. It could just be the battery, so I recommend changing the battery first.

Always change the obvious things on a car. Don’t conclude that the engine needs to be swapped without figuring out what’s wrong since that will cost you a lot of money. You don’t want to start with the hardest thing for a problem like this. If you need help, have your engine’s misfiring issue diagnosed by a certified technician so that they can have this problem correctly taken care of.

3. Multiple misfire codes on an 'O4 Opel Astra