Q: Muffler not working.

There is a strong odor and noises coming from my car's muffler.

Hi there, It very possible the catalyst in side the catalytic converter is braking up inside of the catalytic converter. This could cause a rattling noise in the exhaust while the engine is running and a possible smell from the exhaust either due to the exhaust passing through the converter unprocessed or from Heat buildup due to possible blockage in the catalytic converter. My advice is to have a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, locate the source of the noise and make the necessary repairs to the exhaust.