Q: Muffler cuts on and off

My muffler is hanging off a little bit, and it cuts on and off.

A: If engine performance issues have developed...

If engine performance issues have developed I would recommend having the vehicle thoroughly inspected by a knowledgable technician, such as one from YourMechanic. If your muffler is hanging off a little bit, that may be a sign that one or more of the rubber hangers has torn or come loose, or perhaps one of the hangers has broken off of the exhaust. This may or may not be related to the vehicle cutting on and off, however if the exhaust is damaged or an exhaust leak has developed it may have a negative effect on engine’s performance. I would also have them check to see if any trouble codes have appeared that could perhaps give a clue as to the performance issue.