Q: Motor will not start up right away, takes a while

My 2006 Nissan Sentra has around 90,000 miles on it. For the last 10,000 miles or so, I've had a difficult time getting it started. I turn the key in the ignition and the starter motor will crank a few times, then nothing. I'll do that for about ten seconds and then it starts right up. I don’t know if the ignition is broken or not. Could this be a real problem?

The cranking without starting is caused by the crankshaft position sensor intermittent open circuit not giving a code in the engine control module continuously. This can make it hard to diagnose. Nissan has a recall 07v527000 dated 11/15/2007 where the dealer will replace the crankshaft sensor, then reprogram the engine control module. The recall should fix the no start issue.

3. Motor will not start up right away, takes a while