Q: Motor will not start up right away, takes a while

My 2006 Nissan Sentra has around 90,000 miles on it. For the last 10,000 miles or so, I've had a difficult time getting it started. I turn the key in the ignition and the starter motor will crank a few times, then nothing. I'll do that for about ten seconds and then it starts right up. I don’t know if the ignition is broken or not. Could this be a real problem?

The cranking without starting is caused by the crankshaft position sensor intermittent open circuit not giving a code in the engine control module continuously. This can make it hard to diagnose. Nissan has a recall 07v527000 dated 11/15/2007 where the dealer will replace the crankshaft sensor, then reprogram the engine control module. The recall should fix the no start issue.