Q: Q: Motor swap

I have a 1999 parts jeep cherokee with a 4.0 l6 motor can i swap that into my 2000 jeep cherokee. Bc i noticed the motor i have in my 2000 now has a coil pack on the motor and the motor i want to put in it doesnt. Does that make a difference or will it fit right in ?

Hello. The coil pack is part of the ignition system and is of little consequence to what motor it is used on. A long block, which consists of the head and engine block assembled, is very versatile in terms of the parts it can use. You may need to do some minor fabrication to make the coil pack work, but most likely it will bolt on easily. This depends on what motor was in the 2000 Jeep to begin with. If it was another 4.0l, things should go smoothly as far as the coil pack is concerned.

Jeeps are well known to be easy to swap engines in and out of. As for whether or not it will fit right in, that is really up to you to make that determination. Before you get too far, take time to examine the mounting points of both motors. The absolute best thing to do is to place both motors side by side and directly compare them. Sometimes, even with motors of the same year, make, and model, you will find differences. There is no way to be absolutely sure without a direct comparison.

In my experience, for the most part Jeeps are compatible year to year, but there are times when something strange will occur. This depends on what manufacturing plant the vehicle was assembled in and if it was meant for a market like California, which has its own set of requirements.

Long story short, there simply isn’t a substitution for a direct comparison and there is always a solution to water ever challenge you have. The real question with any modification is how much time, money and effort do you want to put into it. Every project like this for me is a learning experience that I can add to my tool belt of knowledge. I don’t go into them expecting things to just fall together. That rarely happens with most repairs. If you’re prepared to put in the time and effort, you can do it.

3. Q: Motor swap