Q: Motor home not starting and engine turns over very slowly

Hi, due to my mothers illness and subsequent passing my Fiat E410 motorhome failed to start after9 months of non using.i replaced the battery and the earth cable became overheated and started smoking.the starter motor was replaced by a friend working at Halfords out of hours bit hes stumped as to the problem.it turns.over but very slowly.

A: Hi there. You have my condolences for the p...

Hi there. You have my condolences for the passing of your mother. From the description of your vehicle’s starting problem after sitting 9 months, I’m led to believe there is excessive draw, by the starter attempting to turn the engine over. You could try removing the spark plugs, squirting some engine oil into each cylinder, and then attempt to crank the engine over. If it turns over freely, install the spark plugs and keep your fingers crossed. If the engine continues to turn over slowly, it could be a ground (earth) cable problem. It could be a seized accessory component, AC compressor, alternator, or power steering pump. Removing the drive belt(s) could confirm which component has failed. I recommend your vehicle’s engine turning over slowly problem be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.