Q: Mk 5 golf stuck in gear at high revs can only change in low revs

Hey there,

My car seems to get stuck in gear when at high revs. You have to let the revs go right down again only then will it let you switch gear. The car is a mark 5 vw golf 05 plate. Any advice is appreciated

Check the gear oil level as a low level can cause or aggravate shift difficulties. If you have the original clutch and slave cylinder, faults there are a likely cause of the shift difficulty. The clutch system should be thoroughly inspected and if ruled out, the next likely explanation is wear in the shift synchronizers and/or shift hub components. The problem you are describing would be diagnosed in a hard shifting inspection/diagnostic and you can request that service at the just cited link. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Mk 5 golf stuck in gear at high revs can only change in low revs