Q: Missing transmission part

I am missing a part on my transmission exposing a gear on the inside and leaking transmission fluid. I have a picture.

A: Hello and thank you for contacting YourMech...

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. There could be a park neutral position (PNP) switch missing from the transmission. There could also be a gear inspection cover missing on the transmission. Look at what part of the transmission is missing and show the picture to a transmission shop and they can tell you exactly what is missing. Once you have the part, then you can install it. If the transmission case is broken, then you would need to replace the transmission. A transmission specialist consultation should help out in this situation. Alternatively, you could have a professional from YourMechanic come to your car’s location to inspect the fluid leak and advise you on necessary actions.