Q: Minivan burning raw fuel and has rumbling noise - 1997 Ford Aerostar

I think my minivan is burning up raw fuel because I have seen the mpg drop down and I can smell it. When checking the car computer, it read bad plugs. I performed a full change of the plugs again (less than 60,000 miles ago), plus the fuel filter, the wires, and a full change of the plugs. The car is still running with poor performance. When I'm driving, there is a rumbling noise. It sounds like it is not getting the normal speed and is not running on all six cylinders. Even after replacing the PCV valve and the air filter, it still isn't functioning properly and is having the same issues. Can you tell me how to fix these problems?

A: Hello. Is the Check Engine Light on? If the...

Hello. Is the Check Engine Light on? If there is a code set, then this will give the person diagnosing a starting point. Depending on what plugs that you put in your van, they could be due for a change in as little as 30,000 miles. It is possible that there may be a sensor or other engine component such as an ignition coil that is causing your vehicle to run poorly. The raw fuel smell and poor mileage may be due to a fuel leak somewhere. If you would like to have this diagnosed, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the decrease in mileage and suggest corrections for your specific situation.