Q: Mileage is incorrect, Check Engine Light is on, and the car shakes - 2004 Mitsubishi Galant

Hi when I brought the car the mileage was 200,000 something. I recently got an oil change and noticed the mileage says 82,000. How is it possible for it to change like that? Also my service engine soon light is own and I was told it was the oxygen sensor which I have scheduled to have fixed by you guys this Sunday. I also know I need new tires and the car shakes when I start the car when I go over 60 mph. I read that it has to do with the tires and spark plugs. Which is more important to get fixed first?

A: Hello. The mileage may read this because it...

Hello. The mileage may read this because it may have been switched from kilometers to miles. As for the shaking, if it occurs more at higher speeds, then it is more than likely due to the tires and not the spark plugs. If the plugs were bad, you would get it more often at all speeds. If the tires need to be replaced, then that should be done before a tune up.

I recommend having one of YourMechanic’s certified technicians perform an inspection to determine why the car is shaking and why the Check Engine Light is on.