Q: Might buy. Issues listed on car. Is it worth it if I put money in to fix

Listed on the suggestions for this car being purchased. Wanted to get an idea roughly how much it would cost to fix before purchasing. Dealer would not let us take to a mechanic. Thank you! THIS VEHICLE IS BEING SOLD AS IS WITH NO WARRANTY WRITTEN OR IMPLIED.Recommendations: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DIAGNOSIS, RIGHT REAR DOOR DOESNT CLOSE PROPERLY, WIPERS, OIL CHANGE, LEFT FRONT AXLE BOOT TORN, RIGHT FRONT AXLE BOOT TORN, LEFT FRONT SWAY BAR LINK BUSHINGS SPLIT, HEAVY FLUID LEAKS, RIGHT FRONT CONTROL ARM, LOWER ENGINE COVER HANGING, AIR CONDITIONING DOESNT BLOW COLD, BRAKE PEDAL HARD AND BARELY STOPS VEHICLE, FRONT STRUT NOISE OVER.

That is a lot of problems for a 2008 vehicle. Whenever I see a long list of issues like this I am very wary of purchasing such a vehicle. All these problems indicate the previous owner abused it. Abused vehicles can be never ending projects to fix. The list of problems is impossible to estimate without accurately diagnosing each item. I am surprised the dealer gave you such a comprehensive list. That speaks to their integrity in a positive way, however it’s troubling they wouldn’t let you take it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection.

The problems that concern me the most: Check engine light diagnosis: You won’t know how much this will cost until it is diagnosed, and it could cost a lot. In my experience, VW vehicles can be difficult to trouble shoot.

Right rear doesn’t shut properly: Did this happen from an accident or just the abusive owner? If it was an accident, there will be more problems from it. An abusive owner will have abused the entire car and there will be other issues.

Heavy fluid leaks: Have the fluid leaks been left unattended and damaged the motor or transmission. Hard to tell with a vehicle like this. Seems like the owner didn’t do much maintenance.

Right front control arm: What’s the nature of the damage? Accident, worn out? Either suggests abuse on a vehicle of this age.

In my opinion, I wouldn’t recommend purchasing this vehicle unless you’re getting a really good deal and are looking for a project to work on. If you are looking for daily driver and paying someone to fix all this, prepare yourself for surprises and for any estimate to grow as the mechanic gets into the project. It is going to take time to fix all of this and I anticipate there will be other problems that haven’t been found yet.

• Might buy. Issues listed on car. Is it worth it if I put money in to fix