Q: Battery goes dead.

I have been told that if I leave a car battery on a concrete floor any length of time it will discharge a lot faster than if I left it sitting on a piece of timber. Is that applicable to all batteries automotive? thankyou for any advice Regards MICK

When a battery is subjected to cooler temperatures they will generally produce less voltage and also a battery will have a small amount of voltage transfer potential through the plastic housing of the battery. When you sit a battery on concrete the floor will be colder than the ambient air temperature and cause a slight lowering of the battery over time. If the concrete has a lot of moisture in it and all concrete will have some levels of moisture then the battery may transfer voltage to ground and it may kill the battery over a long period of time. Wood is a pretty good insulator from the cold and also a good insulator of the flow of voltage. This is why putting a battery on wood is better than setting battery on bare concrete.