Q: Mechanic says my SUV needs an alignment and replacement control arm bushings

I took my SUV to the dealership to get a check engine light looked at, and they said it needs an alignment. I took the car to a mechanic for the alignment, who said he needs to replace the control arm bushings. We are trying to go on a 1000+ mile road trip very soon and don't really have time for the SUV to be in the shop. Can the control arm bushings and the alignment wait until we get back? Also, I do not notice the SUV pulling in either direction when driving.

A: Hello. As long as you have not noticed any ...

Hello. As long as you have not noticed any noises or any serious tire wear, then it will be fine to drive. When the bushings wear out on this vehicle, they will start to wear the tires and will cause the alignment to be out. If they are worn like this, the vehicle is still fine to drive. If they were bad enough to cause some loud clunking or popping noises then I would suggest having the control arm bushings replaced before you go. If you want to have these replaced when you return, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this.