Q: Master or slave cylinder?

My clutch pedal has started dropping to the floorboard and sticking. I was thinking master cylinder since the brake fluid is dark and milky. But it is still pumping fluid and holding fluid level. When I crack the bleeder screws it squirts a good stream. I've seen no leaks and I can see the slave cylinder piston move slightly. I already bought the master, but I'm starting to think it's the slave.

Hi there. If you seen the slave cylinder move a little, then the piston on the slave cylinder could be stuck. Check all of the fluid and make sure that it is full on the clutch master cylinder. Have someone step on the brakes and bleed the slave cylinder.

This ensures that there is no air in the system. If there is no air in the system, check the location of the piston on the slave cylinder and check the return spring to make sure that it is working and that it is not missing or broken. If the slave cylinder is stuck inside the housing, then it needs replaced. If the slave cylinder is out half way or 3/4 way, then the clutch is worn out and needs replaced. If you need further assistance diagnosing your clutch, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you with the clutch pedal engagement.

3. Master or slave cylinder?