Q: mass airflow sensor

I recently changed my mass airflow sensor, and the truck kept doing the same thing. Sputtering at stop lights and stalling out. The check engine light is still on. Is it fuel related?

Hi there:

Sputtering and stalling can be caused by multiple mechanical problems ranging from simple items like clogged fuel injectors, to a vacuum leak, problems with throttle idle sensors and more. When I discover this type of symptom, the first thing I’ll do is download error codes from the ECU, then road test the vehicle to determine if the error code and problem component matches the symptoms. Since the Check Engine Light is still on, the problem may be due to a different component; like a bad idle control valve.

If you have the right diagnostic tools and latest download error codes available, you might want to start with the process laid out above. If not, contact one of our local ASE certified mechanics here at YourMechanic. They’ll be happy to help you accurately diagnose your Check Engine Light and fix it accordingly.