Q: Q: Transmission problem?

Manual transmission. Shifter floats between 3rd and 4th only. Dies when clutch is released.

Hello, It sounds like you may have a transmission synchro wearing out. As you may know, when a clutch drags, it is not letting go of the disk fully which overloads the synchros and burns up the friction surfaces quickly. Synchros work by speeding up or slowing down the input shaft and clutch disk by acting like a brake. When these begin to wear out, you may notice the transmission popping out of gear at times. The issue of the engine dying when the clutch is released sounds like possibly a clutch safety switch problem. This is the equivalent of the neutral safety switch in a vehicle with an automatic transmission. The purpose of this is to keep the car from starting when in gear without the clutch engaged. I would suggest having one of our expert mechanics come to your location to take a look at the vehicle.

3. Q: Transmission problem?