Q: Low mileage but lots of trouble starting

At only 21,000 miles old, my 2008 Nissan Versa has a really difficult time starting. It started acting up a while back, but I figured it was because of the cold. Now it is not cold and it takes even longer to start. This seems like an easy problem to diagnose, but I am more concerned with the implications of things breaking this early on. Should I have more checked out in the drivetrain?

The fuel systems on most new vehicles have a high pressure fuel system, including your Nissan Versa. This fuel system needs to keep fuel pressure at the fuel injectors in order to keep your engine running. When you shut off your engine, the fuel pump pressure regulator prevents fuel from going back to the fuel tank and keeps pressure in the line to the injectors. If the regulator leaks fuel back to the fuel tank, then your engine will not start until your fuel pump can build up fuel pressure again at the injectors. This takes between 5 to 10 seconds. Nissan has a technical service bulletin (TSB) NTB07-094C dated 9/18/2009 that verifies drive symptoms of long crank times and the fuel pressure dropping below 29 psi after 30 minutes. If both symptoms are found, then I recommend contacting a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to replace your fuel pressure regulator.