Q: Low idle after cleaning carb

Hi, I hope to seek some advice... I cleaned my car's carb with carb cleaner, removed the idle air control valve and cleaned it as well (cleaned the parts with my negative terminal disconnected). After cleaning the carb and started the car, I noticed that the idle speed gets low which starts at around 1300 and drops at around 800 within a second after starting. Hope to hear some advice from you guys and thanks in advance!

A: Firstly, you’ll want to verify that you cle...

Firstly, you’ll want to verify that you cleaned the throttle body thoroughly since carburetors have not been used for years. The fact that you cleaned the carburetor and disconnected the battery means that the computer will need to relearn the idle again.

To do this you’ll need to warm the vehicle by holding the throttle part open for at least 2 minutes. Let it idle with all of the accessories off for 2 minutes and then turn on the A/C and put it on medium blower speeds and let the car idle for 2 minutes.

By doing this the computer should have relearned the idle now. An idle of 800 RPMs is a good speed for the idle to be at as long as you do not have stalling when you decelerate.

If you need help with getting this done, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can diagnose your idling issue and help you make the necessary repairs.