Q: Low gas mileage

I purchased this car new and it now has a mileage around 39,000 miles. The car has an automatic CVT transmission and generally runs great. The only thing I would like to improve is the gas mileage. I drive the car on the highway as well as around the city. I'm currently getting 21-23 MPG. The car is advertised to get 33 MPG when driving on the highway and 25 MPG in the city driving. I'm not driving the car roughly so I expected better gas mileage. Is there any way I can improve this?

A: Unfortunately, real world mileage numbers v...

Unfortunately, real world mileage numbers very rarely stack up to those advertised by the manufacturer. There are things you can do to improve your mileage, however.

First of all, make sure your tires are properly inflated at all times. Don't wait until the tire pressure monitor comes on to warn you of a problem. Keep up on your maintenance - this includes filters, fluids, etc.

Follow the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual. When it comes time to change your tires, look at low resistance tires for improved fuel economy.

Finally, adjust your driving habits. I know you said you don't drive the vehicle rough, but driving slower and anticipating stops can also improve your mileage. When it comes time for your scheduled maintenance or if you'd like your low gas mileage diagnosed, I suggest you give the professionals at YourMechanic a call.