Q: Low break fluid light is coming on, but I don't know how to check pads or for a leak.

For the past two days the "low break fluid" light has been coming on. It is not constant, but does stay on for 20 minutes sometimes. It seems like when I let off the break quickly, that triggers it. If I come to a VERY smooth, slow stop the indicator light disappears. I know not to top the fluid off, but not sure what to do now.

I tried checking under the car for a leak, but see nothing. I have no clue how to check the pads, but they were replaced around 40,000 miles ago.

I checked the reservoir and it seems to be rather full, but I'm not positive exactly since I'm kind of short and my perception may be off.

I pressed the E break in and back out to make sure it was not set, but that was fine too.

Hi, thanks for writing in about your Chevrolet Impala. 40,000 miles is a decent amount of mileage for brake pads to wear out.

The light sounds like it is coming on due to low brake fluid from the brake pads wearing out. You may also have a leak in the rear brakes (which is hard to see), or the sensor in your brake fluid reservoir is not reading properly.

A brake system inspection by a skilled technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can easily determine the cause of the light.

P.S. You are correct that it is not a good idea to add brake fluid.

• Low break fluid light is coming on, but I don't know how to check pads or for a leak.