Q: Loud vibration

When stopped at a red light or stop sign, my car makes a loud vibrating noise. Sounds like it's coming from the dash but if I turn the steering wheel slightly left or right, it stops. It only does this in drive when sitting. What could this be?

A: Hi there. Weak, worn, or broken engine moun...

Hi there. Weak, worn, or broken engine mounts can cause a vibration such as you’ve described to occur. These mounts secure the engine to the body, cradle, and frame, but also provide a dampening from the engine vibrations. What you’re feeling is that vibration as it resonates through the engine compartment. A visual inspection of all the engine and transmission mounts may produce which mount(s) may need to be replaced. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car has a vibration inspection and a motor mount replacement if necessary.