Q: Loud thump when SUV downshifts

There is a loud ‘thump’ noise when my SUV downshifts. You can feel the hardness of the shifting and the thump. The dealership won't seem to help me, so I’m looking for information as to what to say to them so they “will” help me. Can you give me a starting point of knowing what is causing this and what to tell them? Thank you.

Ford does have out a bulletin for this type of transmission issue for the Aviator, now the TSB only refers to transmission built within a specific period of time and maybe they feel that your transmission was built outside of this production range.

The TSB (technical service bulletin) refers to a faulty pressure control solenoid or an updated valve body as the fix. Now, even if your vehicle does not fall into the production range, if there is a faulty pressure control solenoid or a bad shift solenoid, the result would be the same. You may want to have a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, look into this issue further in order to diagnose your shifting problem in person and recommend the appropriate repairs.