Q: Loud noise; possibly wheel bearing

I hear a loud noise coming from my car. It could be the wheel bearing.

A: The best way to determine if a wheel bearin...

The best way to determine if a wheel bearing has started to fail our not is to have the vehicle on a lift or safety lifted onto jack stands and use an automotive stethoscope to listen if the bearing has excessive noise and friction. Over time the grease in bearing can seep or burn out and cause scoring and excessive play in the needle bearings. This can cause an audible sound like a growling or a grinding if the bearing is bad enough. A proper inspection should be carried out by a qualified technician like the ones here at YourMechanic in order to pin point the source of the sound you are hearing.