Q: Loud grinding, won't shift out of first gear

My car has gone around 150,000 miles. It has an automatic tramsnission. The other day, while I was driving it, it suddenly started making loud grinding sounds. Consequently, when I drive it now, it wouldn't shift out of first gear. I checked the transmission fluid and it looks red as it should. It is at a good level as well. The engine runs well too. What should I do?

A: I would recommend not driving the vehicle a...

I would recommend not driving the vehicle at all until the transmission has been inspected by a qualified professional. You may have experienced internal transmission damage and even driving the vehicle for a short distance could further damage the transmission. It is very important to have this inspection done by someone who is very familiar with transmission diagnostics in order to prevent replacing unnecessary parts. If you would like to have this done, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose your vehicle's shifting issue.