Q: Loud grinding/grating metal noise

I started my car in the morning then went back inside for a few mins after a few minutes I heard what sounded like someone outside grinding metal which went on for a couple mins then stopped. I went back to the garage where my car was and I heard it quickly again very loud but stopped so I knew it was my car. I opened the garage door to find clear/whitish cloudy smoke in the garage I got inside my car and pressed the gas pedal slightly to rev the engine and it started griding again very loudly so I turned the car off and had it towed to my mechanic They had it for almost 2 days and nothing happened no smoke no grinding nothing, drove it around checked our the battery alternator starter and a few other things looked under the car and everything was good. I picked it up and it was great drove like nothing ever happened. The day before it all happened I had put it in reverse and it didn't roll back so I stepped on the gas and it made a big thump and then rolled back but drove home fine.

Hi there. Issues like this are often very difficult to diagnose without having the mechanic onsite to attempt and replicate the symptom. However, in some cases, the issues you are describing are caused by a drive or serpentine belt pulley that is damaged, or other pulley such as a water pump or drive belt. If you continue to have this type of problem, I would recommend having a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is making a noise inspection.