Q: Loud engine noise

Suspected exhaust leak. Had one, replaced catalytic converter. Now suspect cracked manifold or Manifold gasket. Is there a good way to check? My car sounds like a Pinto.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I would recommen...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I would recommend having a smoke test performed on your vehicle. A smoke test will be able to show you where any vacuum or exhaust leaks may exist. I would recommend having the smoke test performed by a qualified professional as it requires the use of a special machine to do. Once the smoke test has been performed he will see smoke being emitted from the source of the leak. Once the source of the leak has been found the faulty part can be replaced. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.