Q: Loud cranking, shaking, RPM decrease upon start - 2004 BMW 325is

The car has been making loud cranking sounds lately. This occurs when I start the car. It would also start shaking. The dashboard has been showing the RPMs slowly decreasing too. I'm in fear that this might damage the car badly, so I only start the car and let the engine run briefly. How serious is this problem? What should I do?

Hello. This problem would be considered very serious. I would recommend not driving the vehicle at all until it has been inspected by someone to determine the extent of the damage. Sounds like that are usually either harmful to the vehicle or very unsafe. Once your vehicle has been inspected, then from there you can determine which route to take as far as resolving the issue. This noise could be related to the engine. Engine noises can often occur due to lack of proper maintenance, low oil level, or wrong oil type. This would be the first thing I recommend having checked out. If you would need to have this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can inspect the noise and the loss of power concerns for you.