Q: Lost first and second gear

I lost first and second gear. The transmission is black in color.

A: Hi. With those symptoms, 99% of the time th...

Hi. With those symptoms, 99% of the time the transmission is shot. Black fluid means that the clutches inside were slipping, and got hot enough to burn the fluid. You have a few choices. Replace the transmission with a used one. Most salvage yards will guarantee the part, not labor, for 90 days. Call around to see what shops will do this. Second, take the car to a transmission shop. They will disassemble it and find out what parts are needed and provide a quote. Third, buy a remanufactured one and have any general repair shop install it. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, service your transmissions' fluid to make sure what is wrong , then go from there.