Q: Looks like it will start but it doesn't

I crank it to turn it on and it sort of wants to, but it just doesn't. I do this several times which it looks like it will start but ends up just hearing that turn on ignition sound and just doesn't want to start.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. This is easily d...

Hi, thanks for writing in. This is easily diagnosable because the fault is not intermittent. Based on the symptoms you are describing, you have either a fault in the ignition system or the fuel system. There are some simple tests that you can perform, if you are careful, such as introducing starter fluid into the intake. If the vehicle runs momentarily after you do that, you have a fuel supply problem. It would not be unusual for a fuel pump to fail and cause a no start condition like you have. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.