Q: Looking to buy what should I check

I'm wanting to buy used. It Is a 2011 f150 ecoboost with 160000 miles worth 12 to 14k. Always garage kept in excellent condition. 1 owner towed 5-6k 3 times. Mostly used for vacation driving to the snow. Is it worth it and what should I look for? R/ Joe

You want to confirm that the vehicle has never been in a collision (Carfax might be helpful) and that the vehicle does not have any outstanding recall-related repairs. Apart from that, inasmuch as used car repair, maintenance, and restoration costs are highly dependent on the actual, as found, condition of the vehicle, the only way to get a reasonably precise estimate of costs you might face, and also to protect yourself in the transaction, is to request a pre-purchase vehicle inspection. That inspection, carried out by a certified Mechanic, dispatched to your location, will give you the EXACT data you are seeking. If you look at the just cited link for YourMechanic’s inspection service, you will see a long list of the vehicle systems that must be inspected as well as details of YourMechanic’s inspection methodology. You have additional options, too, insofar as getting useful data about the vehicle model. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration maintains a database of consumer complaints, official recalls and factory service bulletins for all makes and models, by year. I encourage you to go to the NHTSA website and enter your vehicle’s year, make and model and review the existing reports which will give you an excellent idea of what has actually been experienced by other owners insofar as faults in the particular vehicle you are interested in. I would post the text of the reports here, but they are detailed so it will be more practical for you to view them online (it is free). In addition, "Consumer Reports" publishes system-by-system vehicle reliability data for all years, makes, and models. This data is available free in the library or on-line if you are a paid subscriber. That reliability data will give you an excellent indication of the relative likelihood that key systems on the model (and year) of interest to you will fail at greater, or lesser, frequency compared to those rates reported for other vehicles. Obviously, what you want to be looking for in that database is an indication that the vehicle "make and model year" is not a "lemon" insofar as reliability. If you are unable to access any of these resources, or desire data of a different type, please do not hesitate for a moment to re-contact YourMechanic and we will assist you further in your attempts to make a wise used vehicle purchase.

3. Looking to buy what should I check