Q: Looking to buy a 2000 Nissan Xterra with 105000 miles

Vehicle has small power steering leak and may need power steering pump. Also 4 wheel drive but cant use 4 wheel because when an axle boot repair happened something broke in the hub and can't find parts for it. Will there be a similar issue finding parts to replace power steering pump? Is power steering pump something can do yourself if mechanically good with older cars? Vehicle in great condition otherwise.

Used parts for this vehicle are plentiful. Simply search the database at Car-Part.com and you will find exactly what you need. If you are buying a used car, a good way to protect yourself is to request a pre-purchase vehicle inspection. That inspection, carried out by a certified Mechanic, dispatched to your location, will give you very specific data regarding any current problems that the car has. You have additional opportunities, too, to in evaluating particular used car models. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration maintains a database of consumer complaints, official recalls and factory service bulletins for all makes and models, by year. I encourage you to go to the NHTSA website and enter the vehicle’s year, make and model and review the existing reports which will give you an excellent idea of what has been experienced by other owners insofar as faults in the particular make, model and year you are interested in. In addition, "Consumer Reports" publishes system by system vehicle reliability data for all years, makes, and models. This data is available free in the library or on-line if you are a paid subscriber. That reliability data will give you an excellent indication of the relative likelihood that key systems on the particular model (and year) of interest will fail at greater, or lesser, frequency compared to those rates reported for other vehicles. Obviously, what you want to be looking for in that database is an indication that the vehicle "make and model year" is not a "lemon" insofar as reliability. If you are unable to access any of these resources, or desire data of a different type, please do not hesitate for a moment to re-contact YourMechanic and we will assist you further in your attempts to make a wise used vehicle purchase.

3. Looking to buy a 2000 Nissan Xterra with 105000 miles