Q: Looking at 2000 mustang that does need a motor and water pump anything else we should look at before buying

My son wrecked his 2002 mustang a few weeks ago and we found a 2000 mustang for $450 they said it needs a head gasket, tires and water pump so we were thinking we could just use the parts out of his old one to put into this one. My question is since there is no real way to test drive the car or anything is there any tell tail signs or red flags I need to look for or providing it is so cheap and we theoretically have everything because his old one was totally due to the frame being bent would this be a fairly smart investment? We did buy him a firebird but it has had nothing but problems, mostly electrical, so I would rather get him something a bit more reliable

A: You should verify what parts are interchang...

You should verify what parts are interchangeable between the 2000 and the 2002. While you might be able to use things like tires and a water pump, head gaskets are generally not reusable. You are taking a chance buying any car that you can't test drive, put up on a lift, etc. You are taking a big chance buying a car that does not even run. Until the heads are removed and checked, there is no way to know if the heads are cracked, pistons or block are damaged, whether the transmission functions properly. It just depends on how you feel about it really. For $450 you might not lose much but you might spend a lot to make it run properly. If you'd like, one of our mobile experts can come to the car's location to perform a pre-purchase inspection and scope out the needs of the car and the likelihood of being able to return the car to a usable state.