Q: Locked Up

Hi I have a 2003 Dodge neon. I was driving down the freeway and then my car kicked really hard, like I had thrown it into park. Now it won't move at all while the car is on, when the car is off and in neutral through it moves forward with no problem.

A: Hit here, thanks for writing in. It sounds...

Hit here, thanks for writing in.

It sounds like you have an internal transmission failure that has caused the vehicle to attempt to engage two gears at once. This would cause it to be locked up only when it is running, and would roll fine when the engine is off and in neutral because the pump will not be producing pressure to keep the gears engaged. This could be caused by a failing valve body or shift solenoid, or may be due to damage of an internal part of the transmission. This should be confirmed by having a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, perform a proper diagnosis of your concern.