Q: Liquid draining from battery

A liquid of some kind is draining from the battery on my BMW Z3. The battery and alternator check out OK. But what could this be coming from my battery? Do you have any ideas or thoughts about how I can stop this? How long will my battery be OK like this before it starts to fail? Thanks.

A: Hello. There's really no time frame tha...

Hello. There's really no time frame that you can guess as to how long the leaking battery will last. But it definitely expire at some point from its fluid leakage. The fluid that is leaking is known as battery acid. The battery acid is used to conduct electricity throughout the battery and to help hold an electrical charge. Without the proper acid level the battery would not be able to conduct electricity needed for a proper charge. I suggest that you have a certified mechanic verify the source of the leak and replace the battery if necessary. The battery may leak if the case is cracked or overheating.