Q: Lights come on but don't stay on while driving. They are the ABS, anti-skid, ESP/BAS lights

The lights came on but went off in less than a minute. But when I parked and went by the rear tire, there was a lot of heat coming from it and a slight smell. Will the ABS braking system malfunction and cause the calipers to engage slightly? There was no noise that was made when this went on.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. Your car is equi...

Hi, thanks for writing in. Your car is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels which monitor wheel speed while relaying this information constantly to the ABS and traction control system which are controlled by the car’s ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely. Occasionally, these sensors can fail or become faulty working intermittently sending inaccurate signals to the ECU. When this happens, you may experience the symptoms you have described. The ABS or traction control system may be inadvertently activated by these false or inaccurate signals. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.