Q: Lights/ brights won't come on

I have after market lights on my truck. When I turn my lights on the outside light light up and when I flip my brights switch the inside lights light up. The aren't very bright and it is sometime difficult to see at night. What could be causing my brights not to work and what can I do to fix this?

Anytime you add aftermarket components, you have now become the engineer. There is only so much I can do to help you is such a situation because you have now made changes I cannot see, test, or reference from experience from another car. Your car is now unique and I have no way of knowing what kind of system you have installed and how it has been installed. Normally, I can reference factory information. I can’t do that in this case.

With that said, I can give you some guidance. Number one, you need an accurate wiring diagram of the lighting system for your truck. Study it and the wires that you have tapped into to install your aftermarket system. Clearly, you have tapped into the wrong wires. For now, I would not use your bright lights. I assume your low beams are still bright enough to drive based on your description above. The only thing that should change when you switch to high beams is the path that electricity takes to your headlights.

If you decide to get some help with this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified professional can come to to your home or office to diagnose the issue with your lights and help you fix it accordingly.

Good luck! I hope this is helpful.

3. Lights/ brights won't come on