Q: Lights blinking after water got in a 1996 Mercedes Benz

My Mercedes Benz 1996 has got about an inch of water and the lights started blinking. I tried to turn them but the battery and light turn on. Should I buy a new battery and try again?

A: The Battery Light typically just means that...

The Battery Light typically just means that the alternator isn’t charging the battery. If you get through any water in Mercedes, those cars are made up of many electronics, so I hope you have full coverage. If you don’t have full coverage on that car, it will cost you a fortune to fix the electronics.

With that said, get another battery and jump start it. See if you can get it running. Pray that it didn’t destroy some of those complex electronics on it. Those cars are so electronic that they can be very expensive to fix when they break. Have the car inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic. They can diagnose the Battery Light and replace the alternator if necessary.