Q: Lifters knocking on a 2007 GCM Sierra

I have a 2007 GMC Sierra with 5.3 liter. It has a 153,000 miles on it and every once in a while, I start hearing one of the lifters start knocking. I've changed my oil regularly with 5 quarts of GTX and 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. What should I do?

If it doesn’t happen all that often, and it doesn’t happen on high speed, but is just idling--I’d live with that if I were you. Because with that kind of miles on it, all those lifters are going to be worn. And, if you are going to replace one lifter, you are going to need to replace them all. That is a very expensive job.

I would keep doing what you are doing and see what happens. If it does get loud, eventually, you are going to replace them all. When I was a kid, I used to get them and I changed a couple. Months later, other ones are making noise. It drove me nuts and I used to take them all out and replace them all eventually. Do that right if you are going to replace them.