Q: Left Front Struts

i live in Canada. Visited Midas to investigate a noise i hear when my car drives on an uneven road. They finally concluded it was my left front struts and they said the right front struts is in perfect condition. But they are billing me 740$ for parts and labor. Parts -450 and 250, after tax it will be 700ish. Is this reasonable?

Hi there. What diagnostic process did they use to determine that the strut is faulty? What is the parts list of the quote and which part is the root cause of the noise? I suggest acquiring a second opinion and quote for comparison. It sounds like a failed strut mount, but a weak strut can create a similar noise. Any technician that performs a diagnosis should be able to explain and show what has failed, why it failed, what additional parts are needed, and why those additional parts are being recommended. You should feel comfortable when the diagnosis and estimate are presented and explained. If you’re not comfortable, then seek out that second opinion. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a noise over bumps inspection.

3. Left Front Struts