Q: Leaving the AC ON when switching the engine ON and OFF

In the old days my father used to tell me that it's highly recommended to turn OFF the AC before switching OFF the car engine. He also told me that when I get into the car I have to wait for 60 sec before turning ON the AC.

However, nowadays I notice that there are lots of people who keep their AC Switch ON at all times; when they start the car, the AC will immediately start and goes OFF only when they switch OFF the engine.

My Camaro is a 2015 RS 3.6 V6 and has a remote start/stop key feature from distance. I use this feature most of the time. However the AC won't start unless I keep the AC switch ON.

My question: Is it ok to keep th AC switch ON at all times? Is it alright to switch the engine ON and OFF while the AC is always ON?

Kindly advise if this has any disadvantages

Thanks,

JC

Hello. All of your accessories are computer controlled and leaving them in the On position will not pose any problems. In the old days, cars were not computer controlled and would stall sometimes if you did not let the engine start and run for a minute before the A/C was turned on so the engine could warm up some to stabilize. Newer cars are idle controlled by computer and will idle up to compensate for loads, temperature, or any thing else that may try and load the engine when you start it up. So do not worry about leaving it on. Your remote start can also be used to cool or heat the interior before you get in the car. If you are having trouble with the AC, you may want to bring it to the dealer since the vehicle is still new and likely under warranty. If you would like to have another technician inspect the AC for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the AC system.