Q: Leaking oil or consuming oil.

I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L Vortec V8 with 179,300. My issue is the truck is going through oil alot and it only leaks oil when the truck is running and doesn't leak when the truck is just sitting. So is it the engine burning oil or something else thank you.

A: It’s possible that your engine is burning o...

It’s possible that your engine is burning oil, either through the head gasket or through the rings. If this was the case, you would most likely be seeing blue gray smoke out of the tailpipe when driving. If you’re not seeing any smoke out of the tailpipe, it could be an external leak. If the oil filter seal or oil pressure sender were leaking oil, they would only leak when the engine is running and producing oil pressure. The best thing to do would be to have a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the vehicle for fluid leaks to help determine why the oil level is low.