Q: Leak in the power steering system on a 2000 Dodge

2000 Dodge 5.2. I've noticed a small leak coming from the hose steering linkage. Could it be the power steering pump is going bad? It looked like it blew before but maybe it's just leaking slowly. What should I do?

A: You’d want to fix it sooner than later beca...

You’d want to fix it sooner than later because with the power steering pumps, you’ve got to realize that they use like 1600 PSI pressure and up. That’s a lot of pressure.

To find the leak, it’s relatively easy. You just put a little ultra-violet leak dye, a quarter of an ounce into the power steering, and then drive it around the block a couple of times. Then check where the green dye is going out, since that’ll signify where the leak is. It’s very simple. If it is the pump, I’d advise fixing it sooner than later, because it can squirt fluid all over the place. If it really does go out, it can pull parts of the belt, and if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere, you are not going to like it. If you need help resolving this, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to detect the leak and make any repairs that are needed.