Q: Leaf broke while driving

I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma with only 71,000 miles on it. A leaf spring broke when I was driving the other day. If I had been carrying something important or had the road been slippery, I could have been in a serious accident. I am pretty disappointed. How does a truck this new have this problem? Is it a quality problem?

A: Hello! Thank you for writing in about this ...

Hello! Thank you for writing in about this problem. This is a well-documented problem with this generation of Tacoma. There is an open recall for this specific problem. In order to properly resolve this issue, contact your local Toyota dealer, describe the problem, and refer to NHTSB recall number 14V604000. This problem should be inspected and repaired at no cost to the owner.