Q: Lack of acceleration lumpy idle doesn't pull away well.

I have recently had some work done on the car at audi where they found oil in the header tank and carbon in the egr valve which they replaced. Since I had it back the idle has become very lumpy and can be worse when the temperature outside is hot. The acceleration is lacking when it comes to motorway speeds and pulling away is sometimes not the best. Also when starting the engine it can have a bit of a judder. Audi took it for a test drive and said that my clutch and flywheel were near to the end cos of it slipping. I then took it to another garage and they said that the clutch is fine about half worn. He mentioned that it may be injector problems. So am wondering what you think and how do I go about diagnosing the fault without spending lots of money. Don't have the engine management light on so a little confused. All I know it's not that nice to drive at the moment. I have a 2 tdi.not the v6.

Hi there. This can be an injector issue, but from my experience it sounds more like a failing catalytic converter. After the type of service you had it is common for the catalytic converter to fail and cause this so I would start by checking that first. If it is fine, then I check the injector flow rates and the fuel pressure. The air flow meter is also a common failure that causes this so that needs to be checked also. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the poor acceleration.

3. Lack of acceleration lumpy idle doesn't pull away well.