Q: Knocking noise in engine

My son let his 2008 Jerp Wrangler run very low on oil(2 qts.) and its knocking and even after an oil change. There is no over heating or leaking but has me concerned for engine damage. I added about a cup of Lucas oil treatment but it is still knocking. Is safe to drive to an auto part store for an under dash diagnostic or take it to a dealership which both are about 6-7 miles away. Does this mean engine damage and if so what possible kind and cost? Please because I can't afford a new motor.

A: If the engine has been running low on oil a...

If the engine has been running low on oil and you have over 178000 miles on it, you most likely spun a bearing on one of the rod bearings. An engine mechanic can isolate it to see if it can be repaired without a complete overhaul or engine replacement. I would suspect, with the mileage you have, that it will be time for a replacement motor either used or remanufactured. If you drive the vehicle you may be doing more damage to the engine if it is able to be fixed. If you want a second opinion, feel free to reach out to a mobile mechanic who can properly assess the condition of your engine.