Q: knocking noise at shifting gears vvt damage would that make a nosie

knocking noise at shifting gears vvt damage would that make a nosie

A: Unfortunately, it is not possible to know w...

Unfortunately, it is not possible to know what the noise is without hearing it in person. VVT damage would most likely cause a rattling noise in the valve train. It could become louder between shifts, but the shifting of gears isn't the issue you should be worried about.

If there is indeed a problem with the VVT, this should be repaired ASAP. You could be starving the head of oil that will cause major damage. The solenoid that actuates this system has plastic guides that can fall apart sending lots of debris into the motor. In addition to this, you could have valve interference with the pistons causing even more damage.

If the VVT is the problem, it will make a rattling noise on start up. Often it will continue after start up.

Transmission problems can have excessive clearance between the gears that will can make noise in between shifts as well. The trans will need to be rebuilt, but it won't cause any other problems. To have this diagnosed, a certified professional, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your car's location to inspect the knocking noise and let you know what needs to be done.