Q: Key would not release from ignition for multiple attempts

My car was in park when I was trying to turn it off, but I could not get the key out of the ignition. It took numerous attempts, but when the key finally came out the battery light stayed on. It took a long time and a lot of struggle to get the car to turn off without draining the battery. I can’t remember when this started happening. Both of the back doors no longer will open from the inside and the back of my SUV will not open from the outside. The air conditioner only intermittently blows cold air. There is plenty of coolant. Where I live, there are no Saab dealers near us. Can I take my car to an independent mechanic and will he have the proper parts to repair my car?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2008 Saab 9-7x. You should be able to take the vehicle to an independent shop, but any parts the vehicle will need will likely have to be ordered. Most independent shops don't keep inventory for any make or model and will only order parts that are needed. The ignition switch is a common concern among your year model especially if it has been wet. Alternatively, you could have a certified mobile mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the ignition problem as well as other concerns at your car's location in order to have these issues correctly addressed and repaired.